Reporting to the Director, AKU-IED EA, the appointee will be responsible for providing effective and efficient administrative and secretarial support to the Director’s Office at AKU-IED EA. His or her specific duties will include • Ensure effective and efficient functioning of the office of the Director. • Provide briefing materials to the Director, management of information flow (email, verbal, written) and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made. • Coordinate social and operational aspects of visits from official visitors to IED, and events hosted by IED (Graduation, Conferences, Seminars, Workshops) by: • Maintain liaison with external agencies (e.g. donors, visiting faculty, partners, stakeholders) to ensure efficient follow-up and information-flow. • Act as secretary to the Management Advisory Group and other committees where the Director is represented and may require assistance (note taking and transcribing, ensuring decisions made are implemented, circulation of notes and scheduling meetings). • Liaise with the Administrative Assistant Director’s office in organisation and logistics of Director’s travel. • Maintain office library and database of official contacts. • Any other duties as requested by the Director. The ideal candidate should posses a first degree in Public Administration or other related field from a recognised university and at least 3 years of secretarial experience at a senior level especially in an education setting. Other requirements include proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, and Access) and ability to communicate effectively in both English and Kiswahili. The candidate must have excellent interpersonal and team building skills, evidence of taking initiative and a record of providing a friendly, efficient and supportive service. A diploma in secretarial skills will be an added advantage.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Administration or nominee, the appointee will be responsible for providing effective and efficient administrative and secretarial support to the Associate Director, Administration and to Faculty at AKU-IED, EA. His or her specific duties will include.
· Scheduling of appointments and providing support on the daily tasks of supervisors (including organising documentation and resources for meetings or classes)
· Carrying out general office administration functions, which include maintaining and operating appropriate and efficient communications systems such as telephone, fax, email, mail and courier service and attending to day-to-day administrative issues
· Maintaining efficient systems to ensure all incoming and outgoing correspondence is properly received, recorded and distributed
· Maintaining efficient filing systems
· Taking minutes during meetings outlining recommendations and tasks assigned
· Liaising with the Administrative Assistants in general administration to follow-up on relevant arrangements e.g. transport or travel
· Ensuring proper travel arrangements and itineraries are made
· Maintaining task lists
· Assist with web-based and library research
· Any other duty as may be assigned by the Supervisor
The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Secretarial Studies or equivalent and should have at least two years of related work experience. S/he should demonstrate initiative, strong interpersonal skills and should be proficient in the use of all MS Office applications as well as good communication skills.
ADMINISTRATION OFFICER, ACADEMIC & RESEARCH OFFICE
Reporting to the Manager, Registrarial Services and Academic Administration the incumbent will coordinate student admissions, provide general students support as well as provide support in the coordination of research activities. The following are specific duties for this position:
· Developing a data base and maintaining student records
· Coordinating students’ related visa processing activities
· Coordinating student seminars and practicum in liaison with the Programme Coordinator and collaborating schools
· In liaison with the administration office coordinating student medical as well as accommodation activities
· Participating in the planning of graduation ceremonies
· Coordinating provision of approved general stationeries, transport and other administrative support
· Assisting in the development of budgets for research, developing work plans for the same and ensuring timeliness in the completion of research activities
· Assisting in the dissemination of research and providing support to research-related committees including ERC and RAC.
· Assisting faculty members in obtaining materials/equipment related to research
· Regularly reviewing research support needs and organising support workshops e.g. writing of research proposals
· Performing any other duty that may be assigned by the supervisor
The ideal candidate should possess a Bachelors degree in Public Administration or equivalent from a recognised university, two (2) years experience in administration especially in an education setting, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, Microsoft computer application and ability to communicate effectively in both English and in Kiswahili. Knowledge of SPSS research application will be a definite advantage.
Reporting to the Head of Administration and the Director IED, EA, the Communications Officer will play a key role in helping to develop the communications activities so as to provide effective and creative support to AKU - TIHE’s media, fundraising, advocacy and campaigning objectives, with a special remit to communicate the effectiveness and efficiency of the University’s programmes.His or her specific duties will include;
· Implementing a communications strategy and work towards raising the communications profile of AKU-TIHE
· Establishing a team that would work with other sections of the university to provide support in maintaining the intranet; and development of the AKU-TIHE website and relevant links to the general website;
· Representing the Institution in the capacity of Communications Officer in order to work towards raising the communications profile of the University in a manner that effectively positions and maintains a positive public understanding of AKU- TIHE
· Monitor and research on IEDs programmes and the main issues in which IED is engaged in order to develop high quality written and audio visual information and materials designed to maximize communication coverage.
· Work with relevant AKU personnel to develop unit-level communications strategies and implement these strategies through a number of channels, including maximising the level of media coverage and engagement.
· Develop and maintain relations with members of the media in Tanzania order to promote IEDs work as well as for other programmes in order to prepare Staff for potential media interviews as required.
· Develop and maintain relationships with staff including assisting them with the preparation of internal communication materials, presentations including materials for internal and external events such as donor visits.
· Respond in a timely and appropriate manner to media queries in Tanzania and contribute to the monitoring of media coverage relevant to the programmes operations and advocacy positions.
· Liaise with relevant AKU personnel to write effective and timely press releases on the programmes.
· Ensure the website content is up to date.
· Gather stories and case studies and reflect these in a text and/or audio visual and/or still photography formats for use in media coverage and AKU newsletters.
· Develop and manage an effective system for the programmes audio visual content.
· Assist the Regional office on ad hoc project work as agreed.
· Establish and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders
· Any other duty as may be assigned to the Supervisor.
The ideal candidate should possess a Bachelors degree in Public Relations or other related field from a recognised University with at least 3 years working experience in a related field at a senior level, preferably in an education setting. S/he should be proficient in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, and Access) with ability to communicate effectively in both English and Kiswahili. The candidate must have excellent interpersonal and team building skills.
Please send your application, an updated CV and testimonials, including the names, postal and e-mail addresses, telephone/fax numbers of two professional references, addressed to the Human Resources Coordinator, AKU - TIHE P.O. Box 125, Dar es Salaam; Fax (+255) (0)22 2150875 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by May 21, 2010. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For further information, please visit www.aku.edu